2018

"What is saving my life now is the conviction that there is no spiritual treasure to be found apart from the bodily experiences of human life on earth. My life depends on engaging the most ordinary physical activities with the most exquisite attention I can give them. My life depends on ignoring all touted distinctions between the secular and the sacred, the physical and the spiritual, the body and the soul. What is saving my life now is becoming more fully human, trusting that there is no way to God apart from real life in the real world.
― Barbara Brown Taylor, An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith

On the eve of a new year I am tempted to spend my energies looking forward. But there is another voice in my head that wants me to stop and reflect on the year that has just past, to do - what the Ignatian tradition refers to as- an Examen. The Examen prayer, usually done daily or weekly, is a contemplative practices that invites  you to look at the moments of your life through the lens of what was life-giving and what was life-draining. Ultimately, the goal is recognize God's guiding voice in the midst of every day life.

What I love most about the Examen is that it recognizes ordinary things, people, places and experiences as having spiritual potential. The author Barbara Brown Taylor makes the same sort of insight in her book (my favorite) An Altar In the World. She writes,  "...there is no spiritual treasure to be found apart from the bodily experience of human life on earth."  It's true that what keeps us afloat, and sometimes even brings us closer to God, are more often than not concrete things. We find relief from stress through wine and good conversation. We get inspiration from music, articles and podcasts. We experience grace in early morning walks through the woods. With that in mind, here are a few of the things that have been saving my life this year.

(I have included links in case you want to incorporate these gifts into your life.)

Image result for books

  Books

  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - I heard this book was being made into an independent film and wanted to see if I could read it before the release date. As these things usually go, I loved the book but didn't care for the movie. The story has everything: love, terrorists, international intrigue. If you believe in the power of music this book is for you. 
  • At Home In the World by Tsh Oxenreider - After many years of living abroad, Tsh and her husband find themselves living in suburbia with three kids dreaming of the day they can travel again. Instead of waiting for the day their kids move out, they decide to take them on a year long trip around the world. I deeply resonated with Tsh's reflection on wanderlust and desire for some place to call home. Best of all, if you've ever traveled, this book will make you fall in love with the world all over again. 
  • The Grantchester Mysteries by James Runcie  -Sydney Chambers, an Anglican vicar living in 1950s England, is going about his ministry when suddenly he is thrust into the middle of a murder investigation. Runcie completely nails the life and concerns of a clergy person, while creating a web of characters and crime that will keep you hooked! 
  • On Living by Kerry Egan  - Kerry Egan is one of the best storytellers I have ever had the pleasure of reading. On Living is a collection of stories and learnings from her time as a hospice chaplain. It is an exploration of what makes us truly human and why all of need someone to hold our stories. 
  • Fat and Faithful: Learning to Love Our Bodies, Our Neighbors and OUrselves by Nicole Morgan   - After hearing her speak at Wild Goose the past few years, I was SO excited to learn she had her first book coming out. Nicole is a fat acceptance activist and faithful follower of Jesus who desperately wants the Church to celebrate the sacred worth of all bodies. Her stories of spiritual bullying and shame will break your heart, but with wit and wisdom she offers us practical guidance for what an inclusive Christian community could look with a clear and compelling voice. I hope she continues to share her thoughts and talents within the progressive Christian movement.
*David told me I can't put Christ on The Psych Ward in my list, but I think it deserves special mention.
Christ On The Psych Ward by David Finnegan-Hosey 
You might have guessed this would be my favorite book, but it's not just because I get to smooch the author! David is a master story teller and his life has quite a story to tell. COPTW is exactly the sort of book I want more people to write. It is honest, captivating, and filled with memorable stories that will change how understand biblical stories you've heard a million times. I hope more people and communities will read this book.

  Image result for podcasts 

Podcasts

  • The Minimalists - Joshua Melbourne and Ryan Nicodemus discovered how to live a meaningful life by getting rid of most of their stuff. Their recipe for living with less is part of a growing movement most recognizable in fads like upcycling, small houses, and the sharing economy. Inspired by the stoics, and writers/poets such as Ralph Waldo Emerson, the minimalists argue that getting rid of what is superfluous will help us discover what is essential. The end result is that we learn to consume intentionally, bringing in only what gives us joy and adds value to our life.  After reading their first two books, David and I were inspired to donate or sell half of our belongings. We are nowhere close to the austerity of Joshua or Ryan, but our lives feel lighter and we no longer feel like consumer zombies.
  • Books of Your Life - I heard it said recently that the best way to understand a writer you love is to read what they read - Books of your Life is just that. An offshoot of Good Reads, the website devoted to sharing great literature with the masses, this bi-weekly podcast invites authors, entrepreneurs and artists to talk about two or three of their favorite books. Their first episode features Anne Lamott and is filled with great one liners. Bibliophiles everywhere will love the podcast.  
  • The Daily- This daily news podcast/radio show, hosted by The New York Times political journalist Michael Barbaro, delivers topical hard-hitting-stories in 20 minutes or less! If you want to keep up with the news while going deeper into important subjects, the Daily is a perfect addition to your media diet. 
  • Pod Save America - Pod Save America is a progressive political podcast produced by former staffers of the Obama administration. Contrary to all appearances, you don't have to be a wonk to enjoy this show. The five or so weekly contributors are as funny as they are insightful. I greatly appreciate the nuance and thoughtfulness they bring to bear on important issues, especially when it concerns inner-party conflicts. These guys help me stay sane. Simply put, in this political environment I can't go a week without listening to Pod Save.  
  • Side Hustle School - Got an idea or hobby you think could make you some extra cash? Get inspired by these daily stories of people turning their ideas into a profitable side hustle! I love how fun and creative these stories are. It has inspired me to try out some of my own ideas while I have been unemployed.

Image result for growth

Spiritual Practices

    • Earth Care - Of all the issues facing our country, none concern me more than global warming. It scares and depresses me to hear about the effect we are having on our world. Traveling and experiencing the gifts of nature are at the heart of what gives me joy. My favorite childhood memories are time spent in the woods hiking, kayaking, skiing and swimming. As an adult, traveling around the globe has enriched my life and given birth to dreams of one day showing my own children how to fall in love with the earth. That is why this year David and I have begun to get serious about our environmental stewardship. Here is an idea of the practices we have taken on to make our lives better reflect our values: 
      •  Recycling-  We recycle EVERYTHING WE CAN. We put our paper and glass products out for weekly pickup, and deliver our aluminum/tin to the recycling plant for a few extra dollars each month. Our local grocery store recycles plastic bags and Best Buy takes our worn out tech stuff (e.g. wires, old ipods, computers, etc). Perhaps the most difficult item to recycle is clothing. Still, there are a few options. H&M will accept used clothing in return for a store discount. Bring a bag of old clothes and they will give you 15% off your purchase. The website Trash Is For Tossers offers a long list of other ways you can recycle old textiles. In addition to our own waste, I routinely recycle trash left in our neighborhood. Two days ago I took two 50llb TVs left on the street to our local recycling plant. It was a chore but I couldn't stand to see them sitting in a land fill.
      • Waste Less - Even better than recycling is reducing your over all waste. One the biggest contributors to green house gas is wasted food. This troubling reality recently prompted France to pass a law making it illegal for grocery stores to throw out un-bought food. They are now required to donate it to charities or pay a fine. Americans throw out 40% of our food on average. Meal planning and researching recipes we can make with what is already in our pantry has helped us cut down on the amount of food we throw out. Apps like Pinterest and Side Chef have been great for this. Other small to cut down on waste include eliminating superfluous plastic. We do this by cutting down on prepacked meals and produce, picking up things in store instead of online to avoid packaging, and buying drinks in cans or glass rather than plastic bottles. 
      • Consume Smarter -  The best way to conserve earth's natural resources and eliminate waste is to buy used. Luckily Wilson is CHOCK FULL of consignment stores. This came in handy when we were putting together our house. I found some great pieces at Good Will and the Habitat ReStore that with a little chalk paint became attractive new furnishings. Below is a before and after picture the sideboard I picked up at Good Will. It cost $20!
Image may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoor
      •  Finding used clothes that fit me is a tougher problem to solve, but sites like Poshmark, and online consignment stores such as thredUp make buying used easy. I also sell through these sites to avoid throwing out of style clothes in the trash. Buying new clothes is fine, of course, but there is nothing worth than having a TON of clothes and nothing to wear. Women are probably more familiar with this bizarre phenomenon. A new movement called "Capsule Wardrobes" helps women curate a small closet of clothes that can be worn together in endless combinations. There are a lot of guides out there, but I like Project 333 the best!
  • Journaling -  Journaling is one of those things I love doing but can never seem to make myself do with any consistency. It's usually easier if I have a writing prompt to spur some ideas, which is why I have begun reading a Mary Oliver poem at least once a week and writing about it. I am slowly working my way through her consolidated works and hope to put my reflections together into a self published book at some point in the next few years. In any event, journaling like this has helped me slow down and reflect on my life and how I am feeling. It also keeps me from looking at a screen and frequently stirs up questions that lead to great conversations with David and other friends.
  • Trivia - Going to trivia every week with a new group of friends has been very life giving over the last few months. It may seem, well, trivial, but these weekly events are fun and great for community building. There is always a random bit of knowledge I can use to help the team and the food/beer we buy goes to support a local Wilson business. Now I look forward to Mondays!
  • Exercise - When it comes to health I am SO much better at moving my body than eating healthfully. I truly enjoy working out, whether it is walking Penny, going to the gym or playing group sports. At the moment I am training for my first-ever-5K. I have had some set backs, but the process has continued to be something I enjoy and hope to do more of in the new year. If you are also interested in building up to a 5K, I use the Couch to 5K and 7 Minute Workout Apps to guide my training. 
Well, that about covers it. Of course there are a lot of things that have given me life which I didn't include here - e.g. music, relationships, adventures, products, etc... But, it's a start and I hope it will inspire you to look back over the last year and take your own mental inventory. I am so grateful for the ways God has used these things to grow me and add value to my life and others.

May the Author of Life reveal itself to you in ordinary things this year and grant you peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ash Wednesday

Needed Healing

Bright lights, big city!