Elephants and Donkeys: The Circus We Call Politics


Three people were arguing about what profession was used first in the bible.

"The Surgeon said, "The medical profession was used first when God took a rib from Adam and made Eve.

The Engineer said, "No, engineering was used first. Just think of the engineering job it took to create the world out of chaos.

The Politician said, "You would have nothing if we didn't create chaos in the beginning."


Politics and religion, two subjects you're supposed to avoid in polite company. Clearly these subjects were banned because of the passionate arguments they begin. Which is why in the US we have a separation between church and state. But realistically, how separate are they?

Seems to me, every election someone is being chastised for how "Christian" or "Unchristian" they are. Candidates visit bible colleges and wear religious symbolism on their lapels. In debates, candidates make sweeping statements about their religious convictions: and nearly every speech a president makes to the country ends with, "God Bless America." 

Not to mention, abortion and gay marriage -primarily religious issues-  are likely the two most divisive standpoints on capital hill. 

Reversely, religion affects politics. Republicans took a real hit in 2005, when conservative television pastor, Pat Robertson - of 700 Club Fame-, blamed homosexuals and feminists for inciting Gods rage, causing hurricane Katrina. And of course in 2008,Obama nearly lost his credibility, due to his pastor's inflammatory sermons. 

If church and state are so separate, then why do they intersect so much of the time? 

It's a touchy subject, which is why I saved it for the last of my "Stuff Christians Don't Like" series. 

In college I learned that journalism is supposed to be objective. The audience should never know your personal beliefs, so facts can speak for themselves. Well, if you've ever watched FOX news or MSNBC, than you'll know objective journalism has gone right out the window. Therefore, let me begin by telling you where I stand.

I have never voted. 

I know it sounds like I'm wearing an "I <3 Al Queda" t-shirt right now, but bare with me. I lived in Denver over the summer of 2008. The Democratic National Convention was held in Denver that very summer. Because of my location on the West side, I was given a unique grass roots look at what happens to impoverished people when politicians roll into town. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. (Side note: Similar communities in St. Paul, Minnesota  didn't fare any better.) 

Because of my negative experience with the election, and conversations with my Mennonite brothers and sisters -who traditionally don't vote- I decided to opt out of my very first chance to vote. Did I have opinions, absolutely. But did I think either of the candidates could live up to their promises, no. In the end, voting for the lesser of two evils didn't sound like something I wanted to do. 

Today I don't claim any specific political affiliation.( I guess that makes me an independent? Maybe independently cynical?) Yet I am deeply interested in the circus we call politics. 

Frankly, it bothers me when people are disinterested. Or should I say, when Christians are disinterested. I don't mean the kind of politics that fight over how often a certain Senator wears her flag pin. Or the politics that's interested in petty rhetoric about who's a "real" American and who's not. For me, it's the social justice issues. How, as a Christ follower, can I not care about the rights of immigrants? Or what weapons my tax money goes to pay for. 

If the government didn't control the fate of these issues, I could stay out of it. However, the government does enforce its will. Thus, I am intrinsically tied to politics. Because politics effect the human rights of my brothers and sisters. 

In the first letter from Paul to Timothy he says, "I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity."

This, I believe, is where political involvement should always begin - in prayer. 

A month before my year in England I attended a conference put on by Shane Claiborne's people. The weekend was a focused look at social justice, specifically migrant labour. Laborers from the Tampa area who had been abused and kept like slaves, spoke about their experiences. 

At one point during the second day, Arizona authorities were meeting to pass a law giving police the right to racially profile people they believed to be illegal. The law said they could demand to see two forms of identification, and if you couldn't produce them on the spot, they were aloud to arrest you. That afternoon Shane gathered us together and asked that we pray for our enemies. I had never truly understood the power of praying for your enemies until that moment. 

I will never forget how abused immigrant, after abused immigrant, wished good to Arizona law makers: asking only that God give them wisdom and empathy. 

Paul says pray for all who are in authority, because they are also children of God: and because they have the means to create peace in our world. 

Then, there is the prophets. Before Ghandi and MLK, the prophets held the trademark on civil disobedience. Hosea condemned the actions of King Jehu. John the Baptist publicly criticized King Herod. Prophets stirred up trouble for politicians, because they spoke out against the injustice they saw. They were clear in their judgment, asserting that God will not tolerate injustice. 

Similarly, nearly the entire Gospel is Jesus re-educating the pharisees on the way God desires his people to be treated. 

So we pray, but we also act! We educate, we protest, we write letters and demand justice: because ultimately Jesus says, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."

For years now this is how I have tried to engage with politics. But old habits die hard. I have a tendency to point at one party or another and say, how could you believe that? Who would be that stupid? 



Luckily, one day Jesus reminded me of something. I was reading the story of the Pharisee who goes into the temple and prays beside a tax collector.  The Pharisee stands at the front and says, "Thank you God that I am not like this tax collector!" In the back, the tax collector kneels before God and prays, "God please forgive me for I am a sinner." (Luke 18)

How many times have you said "Thank God I am not a Conservative." Or "Thank God I am not a Liberal." 

“I tell you that this man [tax collector], rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” (Luke 18)

After reading Jesus' words I realized I was guilty of this pride: which elevates myself above people with different world views from my own. 

Some Christians don't like Republicans, and others don't like Democrats. But God has called us to withhold judgment and arrogance. 

Maybe the final word on all of this is, is that while the empty promises of politicians consistently fail us, God is faithful. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needed Healing

Ash Wednesday

Where to begin...