Guest Post: Jeff



Name: Jeff C. 
Hometown: Miami
Vocation: Marine, U.S. Military 
Current Status: Deployed in Afghanistan


Q. What is your job, as a Marine? 


My job as a marine is a military working dog handler, basically the K9 unit. There are two sides to it, the Law Enforcement side and the Deployed side of things; sniffing out explosives and drugs on streets and villages in Afghanistan. 


Q. Have you been able to minister in that role? If so, how?


I have been able to minister to others, but not as much as I'd like to. My best friend and I, who I met while in Japan, started to hold each other accountable. But that didn't last long since I've left there. Here in Afghanistan a few of us guys started reading our bibles together, and talking about certain verses and how we interpret them.  


Q. In your opinion, what is one lesson the American church needs to learn about the War in Afghanistan?


I don't really know any kind of lesson that would need to be taught, except that Afghans are just like us. A lot of them look up to us to teach them and help them fend off their enemies. I was talking to one of the Afghan police guys, they said they were scared of us leaving, cause they won't have anyone to back them up. So when everyone [back home] is worried about our troops on the battlefield, returning home, and ending the war... we've also got to think about the one's we'll leave behind. Not all Afghans are Taliban, so they shouldn't be left in the dust. We're in the process of training them to fend for themselves, so we'll see how that turns out. I have seen Christ at work right inside our little FOB (Forward Operating Base), and while out on patrol. Just the fact that no one I was with got blown up, or shot at, or anything crazy like that shows Christ is at work. He's allowing us to live another day, spread His word, and help the people here. 


Q. How have your experiences changed the way you view God? 


I couldn't really tell you a certain experience that made me see God any differently than I did. I haven't seen anything too crazy... But what I have seen is the brotherhood that gets formed when people are feeling down, missing home, etc... They turn to God to help them, which I think is good and bad. I think it's good they seek him during these times, but they, I, should seek him all the time. So I guess that's one thing I have to work on: to not only seek God when I'm down, but also when I'm happy. To thank him for everything he's given me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ash Wednesday

Needed Healing

Bright lights, big city!