Guest Post: Sarah



Name: Sarah H. 
Vocation: Catholic Nun, Sisters of Saint Joseph
Currently resides in: Missouri

[This post is very special to me, because Sarah is my cousin. When Sarah was just out of college she felt a calling into ministry as a nun. Since then, she has worked with marginalized communities inside and outside of the country.  She takes her final vows December 8th, and I could not be more excited for her. She is a beautiful person inside and out, one who strives to live out the gospel everyday.]

How have you experienced “calling” as it relates to your ministry?
I have a billion stories I could share here. I teach at an all girls’ middle school in the inner city. My school targets an economically disadvantaged population, hoping to break the cycle of poverty through education. I work with girls whose lives I could never imagine. They are hope-filled, strong, smart young ladies with amazing potential in so many arenas. I am glad to be there to give encouragement, push them to that extra edge, to share with them my own life and prayer, and to be a part of their lives as well.
Every Friday before the girls go home, I give each of them a blessing. I put my hands on their shoulders and offer some spontaneous prayer for them for the weekend. It always ends with a prayer for safety and the words, “I love you.” I just finished my second year at the school, and I was amazed this year how many of the girls that I had taught the year prior came up to my classroom on Fridays for their blessing. My current class was a bit territorial, but I assured them that there were plenty of blessings to go around.

(My cousins the Hegers, left to right: Johnny, Joey, Megan, Sarah, Brian)

What are the three most rewarding aspects of your vocation?



1. Knowing so strongly the presence of God with me.

2. Sharing with others my relationship with God and my desire to grow in love.
3. Growing in connection and awareness of everything around me, and who and what that awareness calls me to.


If you could spread one message to the world, what would it be?

You are loved!

Comments

  1. This is just awesome! Thanks so much Sarah and Leigh for sharing. What an incredible family with a desire to serve God. Sarah your students are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ash Wednesday

Needed Healing

Where to begin...