Bright lights, big city!

my neighborhood
Originally, when I thought about getting to school two week early, I thought it was a mistake. Turns out it was a great idea. Since I arrived in DC a week ago I have gotten to explore the city, learn the layout of my neighborhood, and organize my life before everyone else gets here. It also gave me the opportunity to meet a bunch of Wesley students and hear about the classes I'm taking this fall.

DC is wonderful. I think when the temperature drops below 95 I'll be in heaven... There is SO much to do here! This week is restaurant week, which means there are all kinds of special deals at fancy restaurants. Exotic food trucks line the street selling everything from Korean tacos to Red Velvet cupcakes (both real trucks I've seen). Yesterday my friend (and fellow seminarian) Laura and I ate at place called "We the Pizza" on capital hill. It is definitely in my top five all time favorite pizza places. 

This past week I have a done a pretty good job of visiting DC staples: aka, MLK memorial, Jefferson Memorial, White House, Holocaust Museum, Smithsonian Portrait Gallery, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, the Senate, etc... At night I think about the first family getting into bed less then a mile from my own bedroom. 

Krammer Books and Afterthoughts Cafe
I think my favorite part of DC has to be the Columbia Heights and Dupont circle areas. Dupont is a hub for the trendy 20 something Washington professional. My favorite spot along the circle is an independent bookstore called, "Krammer Books and Afterthoughts Cafe." It's like any other bookstore, except for a bar and cafe area which offers live music every Wednesday and Saturday night. 

On Tuesday, Laura and I met a friend of hers in Columbia heights for dinner at "The Kangaroo Boxing Club." Or as I've been affectionately calling it, the Hipster Mecca of Columbia Heights.  Truthfully, its a nice bbq joint which happens to make really delicious salads. If there's one great thing about having dinner with a bunch of hipsters, it's the conversation. Laura's friends all work with NGOs in the city that send them traveling much of the year. One friend works for Global Zero, an organization who —through advocacy— are working to eliminate nuclear weapons in the next 30 years. Another friend works for a non profit that protects the rivers around DC from pollution.
Jefferson Memorial

I think my favorite day so far has to be Thursday. Thursday night my RA and her b/f took a few of us out to a row house/bar in the H street area for some drinks and bluegrass. The downstairs is a tiny cafe, while upstairs is a living room area with a small bar. A group of Wesley students joined us and so we got to meet a whole new group of students. Not to mention the band was excellent! To cap off the evening we went next door to a small cafe that makes savory and sweet pies. I had the most delicious blubbery pie of my life - possibly only rivaled by MArie's Blueberry pie in England.

Just thinking about all the stuff I've done here since last Thursday is exhausting. And what I've listed here is only half of the list...

Hoping to write more soon. Until then, grace and peace you from Washington!

Comments

  1. Wow! What a wonderful week in Washington! Hope it's the first of many wonderful weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've done it...I MUST return to DC...do you have an extra room to rent? Thanks for sharing.

    Love, Barbara Driscoll

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I know DC is awesome Barbra! Come on home girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. im so jealous! dc is amazing!!!! glad that you are enjoying it there. love and miss you TONS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ash Wednesday

Needed Healing